Summary of Project
The Letlow Company was given the challenge to design something aesthetically pleasing while staying in the period of architecture of the oldest home on the Lee County Historic Register, dating back to around 1840.
The existing home had a circle drive around the entire house, so an attached garage addition would have interfered with the traffic flow. We created a detached garage, covered porch, bon fire pit area along with a future outdoor kitchen and upstairs future guest living suite. Our objective was to stay within the simple traditional colonial architecture of the times, but to use modern synthetic materials for low maintenance. We designed the structure with surrounding columns to blend with the original front porch on the house. The solid mahogany “Carriage House” garage doors give a warm, rich feeling when driving home each day, as well as an appealing view from the kitchen and breakfast room windows. The homeowner has small children, and their play area was originally behind the new garage building. We installed a lower wide viewing window on the rear of the center garage door to enable the mom keep an eye on the kids by opening the center garage door. We were also able to create a large basketball court with the expansion of the driveway.